Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Stephen Erikson's Books posted 22 February 2005 in Literature DiscussionStephen Erikson's Books by Mithfânion, Didact

WL,

I'll give you my greatest favorites but this has to do wit more than worldbuilding; I'm very big on plotting and characterization as well.

I'd recommend Tolkien and Martin right off the bat, but you've already covered those. I'd go to Robin Hobb then, because her characterization is superb. Farseer and Tawny Man are on the level of Martin's ASOIAF for me, though much smaller in scale. Guy Gavriel Kay has written some excellent books, The Fionavar Tapestry as a Fantasy (with some big worldbuilding, mixing Tolkienesque elemenets with Celtic and Arthurian elements), and his historical novels like Song for Arbonne, Tigana,Lions of Al-Rassan and Last Light of the Sun. There's Tad Williams, who is a major worldbuilder, he has a new saga out, called Shadowmarch (one book only sofar) and of course his legendary epic Fantasy Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. This has a huge cast of characters, various races, detailed descriptions of cities, landscape, cultures etc.

Other than that, Greg Keyes (Kingdoms of Thorne and Bone), Juliet Marillier (Bridei Chronicles), Gene Wolfe (The Wizardknight), JV Jones (Sword of Shadows), Robert Holdstock (Mythago Wood) and some others in my top 20. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown