Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

so what is Scott Bakker reading? posted 21 February 2005 in Author Q & Aso what is Scott Bakker reading? by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

Personally, I loved The Scar - it's my favourite Bas Lag novel so far. I'm presently reading The Iron Council, and the jury's still out. Next up fantasy-wise is The Twins by Gary Wassener.

But what has me captivated right now is John Cheever's collection of short stories. I'm actually rationing my reading so that I can draw it out for the length of time it takes me to complete TTT. He writes these elegant - even economical - vignettes of individuals and families in and about New York. There's just something about his writing - it strikes a tone that seems at once entirely common and yet utterly unique. It's pretty much as far from fantasy as you can get, but you asked!

As far as Fantasy goes, aside from Martin, who goes without saying, I would always recommend Erikson, if you enjoy big, brash, action-driven yarns, or Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, Thorn if you enjoy more character-driven stories. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown