Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Cnair posted 15 February 2005 in The Thousandfold ThoughtCnair by Andrew, Peralogue

i would generally agree w. revcasy's last comment - except with the proviso that a person may be very evil, and yet not manifest such in a way detrimental to those around him. I am referring to a person who might be too afraid of punishment or failure to carry out his evil desires and so is completely innocuous to those around him.

in respect of the evilness of babies, i'm not really sold on that - selfishness is not per se bad or wrong. it depends on the context - the 'selfishness' of a baby flows (at first anyway) from its obliviousness to what is going on around it and its lack of comprehension that something other than itself really exists. In a world with no other people, selfishness wouldn't be good or bad, it would be neutral... I certainly wouldn't agree that "the only good is innocence", but innocence is certainly one way of goodness.

in terms of "desire" i think Ilana was referring to base desires...

Interesting tie-in to this discussion: In the bible, Adam and Eve were forbidden from eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil because to gain that knowledge would be to enable sin with its consequent separation from God and death. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown