Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Best Kick-in-the-Nuts' EVER!!! posted 04 February 2005 in Literature DiscussionBest Kick-in-the-Nuts' EVER!!! by Aesmael, Candidate

I find science fiction stories to be good for that sort of thing. Most recent example that springs to mind is the end of Reynolds' Diamond Dogs. Also time travel, anytime an author decides to write about time travel that seems to be taken as their chance to make the reader to feel as though they have been kicked in the gut.

The soiaf, yes, a number of good examples there. Malazan not so much. Plenty of times I felt sad (that arrow, for example), but no events events where I felt gutwrenching shock.

Best example for me is Miura's Berserk, which I seem to be spending an excessive amount of energy to promote here. As someone on another forum said just recently, the ending of the television series comes close to doing emotional damage to those who watch. In my opinion, it is easily a more horrific event (for the viewer, let alone the characters) than the Red Wedding. Perhaps I have said too much.

As far as the dark Tower goes, I enjoyed the ending, agree with King that it was the 'right' one. Only disappointment comes from the fact that the story I had hoped to read is the one that follows on from it. But I can live with that. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown