Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Earwa Related babble... posted 04 February 2005 in Author Q & AEarwa Related babble... by Mithfânion, Didact

. I want my characters to be out and out troubling, whereas - and I in no mean this as a criticism - Martin wants his characters to be 'gritty.'

This seems right to me. It's the fact that they are so troubling that makes them so intriguing to me. For what it's worth, Kellhus is one of the best characters I've ever read about, he's fascinating and I really do root for him.

More generally, I've been thinking about Martin with regards to this question as well. The difference between his characters and mine, I think, is that he tries to make his characters - even the brutes like Sandor - likeable

There are some exceptions to this (think Gregor, Amory Lorch, Ramsay, Roose, The Goat and some others) but mostly it's true. He wants to have a story behind the bad guy, show a different perspective, making things ambiguous. Sandor is an example, so is Jaime. First we see him murdering a child and see him overall portrayed as a vicious villain and enemy of the Starks, and then suddenly we get his POV. Personally he's nowhere near redemption for me, but some fans have done a complete turnaround where Jaime is concerned. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown