Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Your top 5 fantasy series... posted 27 December 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionYour top 5 fantasy series... by Annabel, Peralogue

Top Epic? Gosh, that is difficult. Here goes (sort of in order):

1. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings (How could it be anyone else??)
2. Guy Gavriel Kay (Fionavar Tapestry (Did you cry? I did. Though I was young when I read it. Kay's the big romantic on this list.)
3. Frank Herbert (Dune series. Yeah - I wanna be a Bene Gesserit!)
4. Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time. But, will he finish in time??)
5. David Gemmell (Rigante Series. They should have had Gemmell write the script to Gladiator - maybe then it wouldn't have sucked so bad.)

And, some others who come so close: Orson Scott Card's Ender series (Does that count as epic? It must by the time we get to Speaker for the Dead); Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel trilogy, R.A. Salvatore and Michael Moorcock's Elric saga. Oh, and I have to throw this in though its not epic - Jan Siegel's Fern Capel series (all the other girl's out there - grab Prospero's Children, the Witch Queen and Dragon Charmer now!)

And, in my opinion, Carey's not too girlie (of course, I am a girl). My brother in law claimed there was far too much talk/sex in it for a fantasy epic. However, the characters are memorable and engaging and the world that Carey creates is unique and pretty much unforgettable. She pushes the boundaries of the genre and I liked that. If you want to read something a bit more conventional by the same author, try her new Banewreaker series. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown