Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Best Kick-in-the-Nuts' EVER!!! posted 18 December 2004 in Literature DiscussionBest Kick-in-the-Nuts' EVER!!! by Gable, Candidate

Okay, what I mean by that is...what are your favorite parts in any books when something so unbelievably shocking happened it made you scream 'OH GREAT JESUS!!!"--or some similar blasphemy. And, of course, to get things rolling...here are mine:

1) Game of Thrones - Now..though I risk spoiling this for someone, if you haven't read all the GoT books yet...you deserve this, you freak, haha. Anyway.The part where Rob gets killed. I screamed and screamed. I couldn't believe it was happening. And also, later in the book, where the Red Viper fights the Mountain that rides, and has him beat...then gets brutally, brutally killed. Fantastic! Horrifying, but fantastic!

2) Wheel of Time - You may say you hate Wheel of Time, but you know in your heart of hearts that is not true. When Rand al'Thor faces the Dark Lord..if Matt Cauthon or Perrin ever died...don't fool yourself, my friend..it's okay to love those boys. ANYHOW. Book 6, I think, when the Aes Sedai came into Rands throne room with slaves carrying a chest of 'gold', then the slaves turned out to be Aes Sedai and they bound him and put him in the chest and walked past all his friends and his entire army with him inside, claiming that he'd 'gated' away. I was in a dentists waiting room and screamed 'Holy fucking shit!'

3) This one...this one IS too special to spoil. Perhaps the greatest, most bittersweet, tragic thing I've ever read or even known. The ending of Tigana, by Guy Gavriel Kay. Won't tell you if you haven't read it, but I will say this: as I read, I was like...Hmm...mmmm...okay..uh-hu......................what? what does that mean? who the? what could...(eyes boggle in realization)...NOOOOOOOOOOOOO---oh sweet god no...NOOOOO!!!!!!!! Actually--I was so distraught I made Luke Skywalker look calm and composed upon learning that Darth was his father. Tears of sadness and joy followed, my friends.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. And remember...don't hate too too much on Wheel of Time. Just be glad you're young, and will hopefully still be alive when it ends. More than many can hope for.

Let's hear yours. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown