Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Free Will posted 02 October 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionFree Will by Anonymous, Subdidact

tellner, your phrasing is much clearer than mine (as in the 'science disenchanting the world' thread, I think you said what I was trying to, better).

The Talmud says "G-d has foreknowledge, but man has free will". The Diety's perception of time is not as limited as our own. What we see as sequential events is perceived as a timeless whole from the perspective of eternity. Our choices determine the shape. He sees the entire thing.

That is an interesting idea. But it does not seem to account for a deity that is also omnipotent. My statement is concerned only with entities that possess both qualities.

Could I have a context for the Talmud? I suspect it is a holy book, but the name does not get thrown around in my prescence as often as 'bible' or 'koran.'

Elsewhere it is said that even if we don not ultimately have free will it is wise to act as if our actions have consequences.

Yes, I am rather fond of that idea myself.

Wert your second post, first paragraph, again you type with greater clarity than I do. My question is: taking that as true, consider a consciousness without the 'machinary' that constitutes us. Is consciousness on its own a deterministic process or does that arise from the machinary that produces it?

For Buddhism giving an answer to my question, I will need to think about. More likely, read some texts before I can respond to it. It has been a while and I do not want to misrepresent it.

Get over it. Don't worry about it.

I don't. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown