Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Is the idea of a "god" inherent in our minds? posted 08 September 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionIs the idea of a "god" inherent in our minds? by AjDeath, Didact

Quote: "Cu'jara Cinmoi":2ofxqsuk
Total faith in science is actually very unscientific, which is what, ironically, has made science - far, far and away - more successful than any other truth-claim generating institution in the history of humanity: it's capacity for self-correction in the light of new evidence. The 'weakness' you refer to AJ, is actually science's greatest strength.

Otherwise, it's been my experience that people are far more likely to underestimate than overestimate the power of science. I poll my classes on this question every year, and I'm always dismayed by how skeptical students are of science, and how credible they are of other institutional modes of claim-making.[/quote:2ofxqsuk]

I will have to disagree, while I do not totally reject science, in fact I most certainly do not, I see it as mans total immersion in its own importance. Believing that what we think is truth is not cutting it for me. I do not believe in Darwinism, or creationism. To me they are the two sides of faith. one is total faith, belief that is totally unfounded and therefore the practitioners of this belief use this as their defense. The other believes that they do not beleive in anything at all, which is false. I am not saying science science is wrong. What I am saying is that believing in an evolutional jump, (such as the eye) and the big bang is not a leap of faith? Why would a person think this? To believe these things is to have total faith in humanity's ability to discover the unknowable, and total faith in mankind itself, which I think has been proven disastrous. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown