Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Concerning Chapter Quotes posted 05 September 2004 in Author Q & AConcerning Chapter Quotes by idlewilder, Commoner

Perhaps there is something Platonic about the historical similarities (it's been a long time since my Philosophy 101 class, but I think what I'm recalling is the notion of Plato's Cave, and the Ideals... Anyway, I hope sharper philosophical thinkers than I will thrash this out a little)?
I, for one, enjoy the story immensely, raised on the wonderful histories of Sir Steven Runciman and Jonathan Riley Smith, and I think it takes nothing away from the immeadiacy of the characters and the engaging story (besides, I don't think Godfrey de Bouillon or Bohemond d'Hautville had the likes of the Cishaurim and the Consult to deal with--- and who, exactly, is the histrical parallel of Kellhus? Peter the Hermit?!?). Besides, I think it's mostly predictable in hindsight, after the similarity is recognized (except for the Holy War being beseiged in Caraskand--- knew that one was coming--- but, again, the defeat and death of the Padirajah was unexpected).
However, I get the impression the path of the Holy War is going to veer quite a bit from the historical, now that the machinations of the Consult and the presence of Moenghus loom large in TTT.
Haven't said it yet, but thanks Scott, for writting exactly the book I've always wanted to read. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown