Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

sarah ash posted 20 August 2004 in Literature Discussionsarah ash by Rellion, Candidate

Spoilers ahead, don't read if you can't handle them.

I hate to say it, as it seemed this book had promise (the first, I refer to), but just did not seem to grab me. I will acquiesce that it may simply be a matter of taste, but when reading Sarah Ash's Lord of Snow and Shadows, there seemed to be a few things missing for me.

1) Madame Andar and Prince Eugene, as characters, did not appeal to me as I read their PoV chapters. I kept wanting to skip them and keep reading Gavril and KiuKiu.

2) Deus Ex Machina - KiuKiu's discovery in the storm by her grandmother. For the same reason I like Martin, I disliked this.

3) The world setting - It just didn't seem to come together. I pictured a Napolean era Muscovy and Prussia, but it didn't come alive. It seemed more backdrop, and less something that the characters interacted with.

It was a solid first effort. I've definitely read *far* worse, but it just didn't drag me in and I found myself having to forcibly make myself read it, and no book should make you have to do that.

I'll give it 2.5 stars out of 5. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown