Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Do you believe a God exists? posted 13 March 2008 in Philosophy DiscussionDo you believe a God exists? by jub, Peralogue

Quote: "anor277":oob0qsgk

I don't think the link is all that useless in its attempt to discredit current religious belief. [/quote:oob0qsgk]
I would quote all the flaws in his arguments but that would take to long and I don't have the patience.

Quote: "anor277":oob0qsgk

This might not have the effect of destroying the social order as you suggest, and the amputee might well be of the opinion, "Bugger the social order, give me my lost limb back". After all, as the link demonstrates, many attribute the remission of a cancer patient to God's intercession in actual human life, and this has had no palpable influence on human behaviour and society.[/quote:oob0qsgk]

"Aged sir, I who came to you am a god immortal, Hermes. My father sent me dowde and go with youn to guide and go with you. But now I am going back again, and I will not go in before the eyes of Achilleus, for it would make others angry for an immortal god so to face mortal men with favour." From the Iliad book 24.

And your example of cancer patients; well if God came down and said "Be Cured!" and all saw this I'm quiet sure this would cause a few ripples through society. Having a Christian, for example, say it was God's intervention that cured them isn't going to turn many heads, but if that person had solid evidence that it was God, well, you see how many people flock to see some so called mircale, imagine if that mircale was proof of God's exsistence. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown