Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Finished TTT today - my thoughts... Holy War as training - posted 11 October 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtFinished TTT today - my thoughts... Holy War as training - by ErebusRed, Candidate

Just started re-reading TDTCB - a week after finishing TTT! Hehe - may sound extreme but as I'm running some roleplay sessions in Earwa it doesn't hurt to be too familiar with the material.

Weirdly it's like reading TDTCB for the first time, although I only read it a month ago and felt like I was paying avid attention.

Something that really strikes me is how my perceptions about and initial sympathy for Kellhus were down to fantasy conventions, that Bakker has 'sneakily' subverted. At the start we know he is a Prince, that he has blond hair and hence we picture him as handsome - we expect him to have the noble qualities of a typical 'handsome prince'. But right at the outset he has this cold detachment, although somehow I refused to see it so early the first time.

It wasn't till Kellhus lack of intervention on behalf of Serwe that I started to wonder, and even then I thought he would somehow change that situation but I don't feel he did until he had calculated it would best serve his purpose.

Interestingly, as well as his prowess it is Kellhus naiviety about the world that also serves to endear him at the outset. We can relate to weakness. Like Leweth we find Kellhus ignorance to be Godlike. Of course as he loses even that weakness we find our sympathies drifting to characters who better represent our own failings... like Achamian. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown