Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Do you believe a God exists? posted 23 July 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionDo you believe a God exists? by legatus, Auditor

I believe in the value of doubt. Most of my religious beliefs end up coming back to the same basic sense of uncertainty, since in the absence of compelling evidence, I have trouble putting a great deal of faith in any one religion over another; and I have an equally hard time dismissing them out of hand.

I do like to entertain certain amorphous beliefs about the manner in which spirituality and science can coexist without conflict, but it's more an ever evolving way for me to look at the world as more than the sum of its parts than a religious creed of any sort.

Edit: And to answer the topic question, I believe in the possibility of God, but not necessarily that he does in fact exist. I like to believe that the hand of creation put the big bang into motion, for example, but whether that creative force was the hand of God or the cataclysmic result of quantum fluctuations, I can't say for certain. I do enjoy the fact that it's currently a mystery though. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown