Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Is Kelhus a criticism of Jesus/religion? posted 27 July 2007 in Author Q & AIs Kelhus a criticism of Jesus/religion? by cloust, Commoner

i'd like to do that zarathinius, but sometimes these things jump out at me and i end up thinking about them.

Who is the hero in the books? Is there even a hero and what does it mean that there might not be, that its just a collection of irreparably flawed humans or (in the case of Kellhus) perfectly flawed humans?

As far as the criticism of religion thing, I have to say that most of the books contain a deep criticism of the mechanisms of humanity. About our leaders, the process they use to become leaders, about followers and their gullibility. About heirarchies and their corruption.

Scott's world is a dark place. A scene that comes particularly to mind is Maithanet's procession where a homeless child is kidnapped by slavers.

There's so much concentration on the dark side of human life, on the underbelly of the societies he creates, that there doesn't seem to be much room left over for the good moments in life.

Unless you think a desperately sad love between Achamian and Esemet is an example of that. And Scott ends up tearing that to shreds as well in his last book. And surely its not the love between Serwe and Kellhus. That's just the deluded hero-worship of an abused woman taken advantage of by a consumate manipulator.

Why's it all dark Scott? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown