Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Who was Kellus talking to? posted 25 June 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWho was Kellus talking to? by Nerdanel, Peralogue

I think Kellhus is speaking to the No-God. It's possible that Kellhus thinks he's talking to the "real" God.

Let's take a look at the details of the scene.

Kellhus stops at a stand of dead trees. Living and dead trees are a repeating religion-related motif in the series. The discussion goes behind the scope of this post, but I think a dead tree represents the No-God.

He faces away from the Nail of Heaven. Inri Sejenus is reputed to have risen to the Nail of Heaven, so Kellhus faces to the opposite direction from Sejenus's heaven. We haven't had a detailed treatise of Eärwan astronomy, but I think it's highly likely from an aesthetic viewpoint that while there's an extremely bright pole star in the north, the stars circle a black emptiness in the south. (I've been thinking that the name No-God - known to be a translation - would be better translated as "the Anti-God". I also think that's the spoilerish name of the third series.)

Kellhus speaks. The answer seems to come in the form of a sourceless wind. The No-God has been able to make wind in the past, as exemplified by his tornado. Also, the description of the branches against the constellations is reminiscent of Kellhus's dream on the Circumfix.

Kellhus responds. The answer seems to come in the faint noises made by maggots and termites, feeders on death. I don't see an explicit connection to the No-God here, but this scene has quite an emphasis on death.

Kellhus responds. The answer seems to come in the form of a twig in his sandal. The twig has a green leaf and a brown one. Kellhus is enlightened by this and realizes that not all paths are equal. Now, the question is, which leaf did Kellhus choose and why?

On this board and elsewhere, the assumption seems to be that Kellhus chose the green leaf, since that's what any of us would do. However, since Kellhus is not like any of us, the choice is not that simple, particularly with all the death imagery extant in the scene. I think he may well have chosen to brown leaf, possibly in connection with his decision to kill his father. A dead tree is a tree that is stable and will not grow unexpected branches. Kellhus has changed, but I think his Dûnyain desire to control everything shows every sign of still being there. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown