Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Akka and Kelhus will be the Greatest Ordeal posted 09 June 2007 in The Great Ordeal [supposed]Akka and Kelhus will be the Greatest Ordeal by Gravity Gun, Candidate

Was there an actually description of the spear itself? The firing? And the fall of No-God? I don't seem to remember any of these.

And I don't think those dreams are results of sorcery, for three reasons.

1. It's not true that the Mandate shcoolmen use dreams of the Apocalypse to communicate. All sorcerers, Cishaurim and Scarlet Spires and Mandate, communicate with each other while one of them is in a dreaming state. For Mandate schoolmen, this often means the receiver is having a "Seswathian" dream while receiving communication.

2. The act of holding Seswatha's heart while being initiated doesn't mean the dreams are sorcerous. First, this mental fixation on a captivating object procedure sounds a lot like "look at the spinning shiny knife" -- in other words, it sounds very much like hypnosis. Second, based on everything we know, this is simply not how spells are cast. They must be cast where the sorcerer has a line-of-sight to his objective (otherwise they can simply cast war spells behind masses of soldiers without having to expose themselves to Chorae bowmen). Obviously Seswatha is long dead and can't see his followers. The only exception is spell of dream communication, which has to take place between people who personally know each other, and Seswatha couldn't possibly know all the Mandate Schoolmen who have followed him.

3. Again, think about how Kelhuss overcomes the hold Seswatha has over Akka to get Gnosis. He did not cast any spells. It seems unlikely to me that hypnosis can overcome sorcery. Unless it's not sorcery to begin with. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown