Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Was Cnauir gay? posted 25 May 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWas Cnauir gay? by Cohen, Peralogue

Quote: "Coldsnap":1rxtr6bi
Of course he's homosexual, and or course it matters!!! It doesn't take away from him, it adds... but come on, you'd have to be insane not to see his homosexuality as a integral part to his story! I mean, i may have read it wrong, but i think he even rapes Conphas!

Be careful though not to confuse homosexuality with how it appears in our culture... i mean, we are talking about an ancient, medieval and frankly fictional fantasy culture! And he's a massive, unbeatable barbarian! It doesn't manifest in a way that we would understand, but he is homosexual. And it never took away from the story, it only added!

That's just my opinion, but i was never insulted by the idea... if anything, i applauded the courage of Bakker to take it there! But it is a major part of his struggle against his people, against himself... and the beauty is how Bakker realistically never lets him address with words or some unrealistic monlogue of acceptance... he is the breaker of horses and men, most violent, and Bakker lets him be homosexual in a breath-taking way... grim, silent, brooding... a storm of violence waiting to be unleashed, and chasing Moenghus through the whole world to deal with the betrayal, the heart break, and the classic belief of a homosexual barbarian in denial: that a someone MADE him this way and must pay for it! Someone else is responsible for his lack of respect among the clans, for his feeling of loss and hollowness, for his feeling of inadequacies... and his compensation is to become so violent, so horrifying, with so many wives, and with the taking of serwe as a sexual prize... and all of it is to no avail, because he cannot deny what he is. He can only deny the world the chance to see it.[/quote:1rxtr6bi]
I guess I skipped this post......but coldsnap hit it on the button here. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown