Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Scott Bakker ruined it for me. posted 30 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionScott Bakker ruined it for me. by anor277, Didact

Quote: "Madness":ixq1svvv
Just a comment on what Whiskeyjack wrote above.

It's funny that you mention that, Bakker crediting Erikson. Erikson himself actually credits Glen Cook, author of the Black Company novels, with the reinvention of the fantasy genre.

"The thing about Glen Cook is that with The Black Company he single-handedly changed the face of fantasy - something a lot of people didn't notice and maybe still don't. He brought the story down to a human level, dispensing with the cliché archetypes of princes, kings, and evil sorcerers. Reading his stuff was like reading Vietnam War fiction on peyote." - Steve Erikson, author of Gardens of the Moon[/quote:ixq1svvv]

Am I the only person who is distinctly unimpressed by The Black Company series? I read some of the novels on the strenght of Erikson's recommendation. I don't think Glen Cook even approaches Erikson as a writer and story-teller, and has none of the latter's invention. Mind you, lately I have been getting a little tired of Erikson. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown