Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Music..not generally... posted 08 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMusic..not generally... by Holsety, Candidate

Ya, I have to agree with Warrior-Poet; very generally...people are not all the same, so different people like different music.

My favorite song is probably Gambler's Blue's by Josh White (it's an older version of the better known St James Infirmary Blues. The song itself has a number of different possible interpretations; I've always thought of White's version as a sort of lonely, bitter, grudging farewell (as though his dead lover is leaving him for another man; the coldness of her body is more of an emotional distance).

Another great version of the St. James Infirmary Blues is by Louis Armstrong. It's a little less raw and painful than White's version to my ears, which is only White with vocals and guitar, but it's still great...but the singing always seems less powerful than the sax in his version. His interpretation is more straightforwardly mournful.

Generally I like Jazz more than Blues, though. A (very) small collection of my favorite artists are Ahmad Jamal, Herbie Hancock, Thelonious Monk, Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Mose Allison. Of those, Allison and Jamal are probably my favorites.

I also like country, though I don't have as diverse a knowledge of the musicians. Ray Wylie Hubbard, John Prine, Johnny Cash, Hot Club of Cowtown, Marty Stuart, Jesse Winchester (classified as rock but I think of him as country), Townes Van Zandt are some of the ones who come to mind. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown