Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Eragon posted 06 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionEragon by Holsety, Candidate

Ok, seriously, I just have to say...I don't care if a work is unoriginal. Well, I care, but I can deal with a lack of originality. It's widely acknowledged that most good authors steal stuff from other authors, and a lot of writing is influenced by other authors. I'm not saying this is universal, or that any author who doesn't steal is bad...but it's not a problem to steal ideas, as long as you apply them effectively and produce something else. You should at least acknowledge people if a person's idea made up an absolutely crucial aspect of your work and you're aware of it, but frankly I doubt anyone can be sure of everyone who has influenced their work.

You don't even have to beat your predecessors. But Eragon sucks. Besides being unoriginal, it's just not good. It doesn't do anything particularly interesting with the fantasy genre. It's worse than its successors (at least, those I've read and seem to have ties to it) in pretty much every way.

I don't know why, but I also read Eldest, which was also really bad. My least favorite part is when Eragon gets super-powers. Basically, he trains at an elf kingdom for a year, and he's still weaker and more useless than pretty much any of the elves. So then this tree transforms him during a ceremony and he's magically stronger and better. Basically, the author's point seemed to be that hard work and willpower do fairly little, but if you've got a kickass destiny and can find a magic tree, you'll become a hero of the ages. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown