Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

What about akka and esme. posted 01 February 2007 in The Warrior ProphetWhat about akka and esme. by anor277, Didact

Quote: "Purple Library Guy":2wjbch5m
Quote: "anor277":2wjbch5m
Well it seems that at least we're in agreement here. Esmenet and Kellhus say to Proyas of their relationship, that they thought somehow that Achamian would have approved. It does not sound like bull$hit. [/quote:2wjbch5m]

Well of course it doesn't *sound* like bs. Nothing Kellhus says *sounds* like bs. That's because he's a super-genius whose talents at manipulation are beyond unreasonable. He is the man who can fake sincerity and therefore has it made.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
As to amor's point that had Kellhus not taken Esmenet as a lover she would be dead--come now. If he could manipulate her into bed, he could certainly manipulate her into just not running off looking for Achamian. I mean, Akka at that point is either alive or dead. If he's dead, going into danger and getting yourself killed too just makes things worse; Achamian surely wouldn't have wanted it. If he's alive, he's a Mandate scholar, capable of killing with a few words, shredding buildings; his potential for violence both overt and subtle is massive, for all that he rarely uses it. If alive he will no doubt be back; anything capable of stopping him would surely chew Esmenet up and spit her out. Sure, there's a certain amount of sophistry here, but I'm sure Kellhus would be able to convince her of some such line of reasoning.[/quote:2wjbch5m]
@PLG, a long time to repond to an old thread but I know that you are new here and I haven't changed my mind since my original contribution. Before I start, consider how many of the other whores and camp followers survived until Shimeh? None but Kellhus’ remaining wife; this was not simply a question of Kellhus persuading her not to follow Achamian to guarantee her safety. Of course he has unknown motives; of course he seduced her; but that is how all men take lovers. And do you believe that had Achamian been really dead (and except for an improbable circumstance he would be) he would have begrudged Esmenet the comfort that Kellhus offered her?

I am actually familiar with some of the sources you've quoted. Corwin, the evil who confronted other evils, wouldn’t have given a rat’s arse about seducing anyone. Donal Graeme (and it's long years since I read that) probably reproduced by giving off spores. I can understand why some of you are disappointed that Esmenet did not behave like the faithful Penelope. But on the other hand was Penelope's fidelity matched by Odysseus' philandering (and certainly Achamian is suspect in this respect)? Perhaps Penelope , young, beautiful, wealthy, should have lived for those 10 years in riotous adultery with all her suitors. Why should only the fantasy heroes get all the fun? Kellhus did repay Esemenet in emotional coin, of which I have pointed out earlier . And through all of this Achamian (improbably!) returns and behaves like an adolescent - he didn’t appreciate Esmenet until he lost her. That’s tough, but that’s human.

Kellhus, as you point out, is amoral - he has no compunction in using other people - but so far he is not inherently evil, and his actions seem to be a bit more benevolent than his ostensible peers. Everyone of us as we grow up, have to learn ethics and morality; there have been signs that Kellhus is learning to be human. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown