Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The Meaning of Life posted 27 January 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionThe Meaning of Life by Myshkin, Commoner

*** The only thing that separates us from most animals is consciousness and self-awareness***

I would take this one step further and say that what truly seperates us is deductive reasoning. After all many lower animals have been proven to be self aware. Is is are ability to deduce one thing from knowing another that elavates us beyond the beast.

That being said I will now slightly condradict myself by using an example of deductive reasoning to posite my theory on the origin of thought. Recently a gorilla was observed using as stick to measure the water depth of a steam it meant to cross. By seeing how much of the stick was wet the gorilla was able to deduce the depth of the stream. I believe that this is the first recorded example of an animal other than human using deductive reasoning. Which leads me to my point: I believe the origin of conscious thought is purly utilitarian, a means to an end, so to speak.

P.S. If the universe is infinite does not that mean that any and all points are at its center? Hence I am the Center of the Universe!! view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown