Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Do you believe a God exists? posted 05 January 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionDo you believe a God exists? by avatar_of_existence, Peralogue

I was born into this world without any saving grace/religion. It is interesting to me that people can "choose" a religion, and always more interesting that people believe that a religion (or it's prophets) might "choose" them.
I do believe in God as a metaphor for collective consciousness. I do not believe that many of these things can be expressed in words, though if I were to choose a word that represents it best it might be "mystery". Perhaps God is also that which mankind finds otherwise inexpressible.
I did attend a Sufi Church for a while, long hours of chanting whipping the group into a frenzy, [/i]Allah being translated as "reality" instead of "God". Thus the chant "There is no God but God" would translate to "There is no Reality but Reality". However, I no longer believe in absolutes (this happened after reading Atlas Shrugged and realizing how angry absolutes make people). view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown