Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Free Will posted 09 July 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionFree Will by Grantaire, Moderator

This is an issue I've grappled with for a while. Do we actually have free will?

Speaking to someone a couple days ago, they argued that scientifically, we don't have free will, because at the particle level, there are set things that every particle does, even though by the Uncertainty Principle we can't fully measure the velocity and position. However, they said that since we can't measure those factors, we don't know what exactly the particles will do, so we can't tell what will happen in the future, and thus we have an illusion of free will- illusion because we don't actually know what is certain to happen, however the future is set.

If taken non-scientifically, I think it also depends on your religious beliefs. Monotheistic religions usually say humans are given free will, but I am uncertain as to how the ideas of a deity, fate (heaven or hell), and free will are compatible. Sorry, I digress, I'll have to make a thread about that at a later point.

So, simply, do you think we have free will or not? Or do you believe in a totally deterministic universe? And why?

Thanks. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown