Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The Case of the Blind Brain and Other Strange Tales posted 06 July 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionThe Case of the Blind Brain and Other Strange Tales by Replay, Auditor

As to colors existing only in our minds (and not necessarily being the same in different minds - ex. colorblind people), I agree, but it is these very "occasions of experience" that is what reality is composed of.

Don't get me wrong, i agree that these things are part of what makes up the reality we experience. I just don't really see the point in focusing on them, as to me they are all just manifestations/effects of the movement of the universe. I'm personally much more interesting in knowing what creates this movement and allows us to experience in the first place is.

I'll check it out, though it sort of sounds like "Triasm," or a three sided ontology. You have the physical world, the mental world, and a "go between" force that works to generate the mental world from the physical.

Yeah as i said before it can certainly seem that way, and even though really in some ways it is a very simple thing, it is very hard to put into words. I'm trying to think up a good example of something that is similar that i could give, but just cant seem to find one at the moment. All i can really say is that it is all one thing, and that even though it is useful to talk about a physical world and a mental thing, in a way there really is no such thing. It kind of goes back to what we were saying about sentience before, and about how rocks have it in some primordial way. I know that doesnt make things much clearer, but I don't fully understand it myself and have more of a sense of it than anything. I'll try and be more precise though in another post after i've had a think about it.

In any case, Mr. Bakker is right when he says that we just don't know.

I think the word that needs to be focus on here is "know". If you mean in an intellectual sense then i would agree. I would argue that reality can never be truely understand purely from the intellect. No matter how solid an intellectual view of reality we create, it is still just a view. Its a bit like painting in that you can be the greatest artist on earth and capture a scene perfectly, but in the end it is still just a painting and not the very thing you were trying to capture.

However, I feel safe in saying that experience is, in some form, fundamental to reality. It certainly isn't some curious after-effect that pops up ex nihilo - and if it is, then reality is dualistic in that a outside agency is required to attach the experience. Consciousness and volition are not something that can be explained away - something is missing from the materialist metaphysic.

Id agree that experience is fundemental to reality. Infact id say the only way to really "know" reality is to experience it. You could also say that experience is the very thing that creates everything else. The question is of course, just what is experience?

Postscript: This is why I am interested in parapsychology, because reason and logic are all well and good, but to actually have hard evidence of mental causation (and perhaps backwards causation) is something else.

I think your certainly heading on the right path after reading this. At some point I think a lot of people who hunger for the truth realise that philosophy can never really satisfy them. It like being a starving man and all anyone will give you is menus instead of the food itself. Not that philosophy doesnt have its uses--and it certainly can be fun to discuss--it is just that at some point, when you realise explainations are no longer enough for you, you really do have to move beyond it. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown