Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Erikson Neophyte posted 29 August 2006 in Literature DiscussionErikson Neophyte by Ismellofhockey, Commoner

Quote: "Xray the Enforcer":3i3mnysy
I'll be interested what you think of Erikson. I am not impressed with his writing, although he finally created an interesting character in Felisin. I swore to the Erikson fans at Westeros that I'd read thru DHG, and I will. After that, though, I don't think I'm going to continue the series.

I guess it comes down to what you're looking for in books. Nifty battles and cool world-buidling, with uber-1337 characters who never die? Multiple non-human races who do cool shit? Magic, magic, even more magic. It's magic all the way dow? Erikson is your man.

Structured narrative, character development and an inspired command of the written or spoken word (while also delivering the goods when it comes to world-building flava, etc -- what we read this stuff for in the first place)? Find another author, because that is definitely not Erikson's forte.

He does do blood well, though. Maybe not Cormac McCarthy levels of blood, but he's better than most. I dunno -- I can certainly see why others like the books.[/quote:3i3mnysy]

That's pretty much exactly how i feel about Erickson, I'll push through his series simply because I have to expect any writer improves but mostly because it's hard to find perfect authors.
I'd be curious to know which fantasy authors you appreciate other than Bakker; I found your literature must reads and I'll look into Vellum but is there anything else you'd suggest in the fantasy field? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown