Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Logos is theft posted 14 August 2006 in The Warrior ProphetLogos is theft by Oneiskey, Commoner

Howdy all.

This is my first post, so forgive my presumption, but I wanted my subject line to catch your attention.

I'm a little more than halfway through TWP, and it occurs to me that Kellhus' faith in the Logos amounts to little more than an excuse for theft. The Conditioned are nothing more than thieves, taking without giving, like the hunger that the Consult constructs cannot quench. It's appealing to a degree, but then you see through it like he can see through faces, and see the depth of its bottomless selfishness.

In fact, I'd go even further and say that Logos is more than simple theft, but theft to the extreme--by which I mean rape and murder. Kelhus may tell himself that those he meets are already practically giving themselves to him before he even opens his mouth, but an open door doesn't need lead to destruction of the house. To me, this is what makes him, and not Cnauir, truly "The Most Violent of Men."

It's also ironic that he's considered by most of the Holy War as a man with something important, even divine, to teach them, yet he really teaches them nothing and it is they in the end who teach him. His humility then seems both a mask and a reflection of his true face. He's still learning, and realizing how much he still has yet to learn. I don't know whether to love him or hate him, but he's definitely one of the most fascinating characters I've ever read.

And speaking of the Conditioned--and this is perhaps not the most apt comparison--but in a way they seem a lot like Jedi, whose teachings are in some ways the same (such as the denial or at least the control of one's passions). The Conditioned, like the Few, are jealous guardians of their knowledge, unwilling to share it with anyone. This is what strikes me the hardest about Kellhus--that he never once considers training someone else to become one of the Conditioned. He's apparently the last, not counting his father, so wouldn't he want to somehow pass along his knowledge, have someone succeed him and take up the cause?

Is the reason he hasn't taken on an apprentice or student because to him, if you're world-born, you're simply "defective" like the specimens kept in the depths of Ishual, good for nothing more than to be used by the Conditioned? Or, like the Jedi, does age play a factor? If Esmi or Serwe couldn't become one, could Serwe's child become a Dunyain?

If that last question is answered by the last book, don't tell me. I want to find out on my own. But I'd appreciate any thoughts anything else I've said! view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown