Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Kellhus vs Dune posted 13 September 2011 in The Great Ordeal [supposed]Kellhus vs Dune by Athjeari, Peralogue

I should have told you that I've watched the made for TV series Children of Dune which, judging from the timeline of events, should probably have been broken in two parts entitle Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Your post reminded me of that fact because of what you said regarding Paul Atreides. I really dig your comparison of the Cishaurim to this, I honestly didn't even think about that connection. Awesome! I have a feeling it had to influence Bakker a little. I also can't believe I didn't see the relationship between "Spice" and "chanv". You could almost substitute the two terms!

The chanv extends life...
The chanv expands consciousness...

I think given the fact we have so little information given of the Fremen is precisely why I like them so much. I was able to construct a concept of how I wanted to see them. Herbert gives us the pieces, and we get to put them together. If you're familiar with persuasion theory, and Aristotle's concept of an enthymeme, I'd like to compare it to that. We're given premises about the Fremen throughout most of the book, but we're left to make a lot of conclusions on our own.

Bakker also does something similar to this with the Nonmen. Particularly in PON, where we only see 2 direct interactions with Nonmen (1st in the prologue of TDtCB, and the 2nd in Akka's first chapter of TTT). Man, I've fallen in love with the Nonmen. I think they're one of the most intriguing aspects about Bakker's world, and I think a main reason is I know so little about them. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown