Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Kellhus vs Dune posted 12 September 2011 in The Great Ordeal [supposed]Kellhus vs Dune by Athjeari, Peralogue

I read Dune for the first time within the last year, and I have to say that I can identify with what you're talking about regarding the presentation of some ideas.

However, I've seen a lot of people categorize Dune as a ecological Sci-Fi novel. Obviously a lot of focus of the book was the use/misuse of the planet and how that affected the populations living on Arrakis. I realize this doesn't represent the entirety of the novel, but it was a fairly large part of it. Bakker doesn't worry about stuff like that. Also, keep in mind when Dune was first published, back in 1965. The genre was quite different back then, Dune was something new and special.

I also remember reading, at some point, on Bakker's blog, or during an interview that the Dune series was one of the most mind-blowing reading experiences Scott has ever had (I believe he says he was fairly young when he read them). Scott has also said he doesn't have a creative bone in his body, and so borrows from favorites. Clearly, he has borrowed from Herbert to some extent, but I'd also agree that Bakker's much more entertaining and "colourful" to read than Herbert.

I haven't actually been able to finish reading Dune Messiah, the story doesn't go anywhere at times. I might still finish it at some point, but Dune Messiah is not high on my immediate reading list.

Dune is certainly worth reading, I personally kind of like the movie too (it's a bit odd and crazy but that's David Lynch for you), the way Herbert introduces the Fremen was fantastic and full of intrigue and mystery. I also like how he incorporates Spice in so many cool ways. All in all, Dune is certainly a classic that is worth reading.

Personally, I think Bakker is a much better read, but hey it's like...my opinion, man. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown