Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Slog of Slogs, Boys! posted 08 August 2011 in The Great Ordeal [supposed]Slog of Slogs, Boys! by Callan S., Auditor

I'm not sure chanv has been revealed, explicitly, has it? It sounds plausible, but I don't think it's been revealed? Personally my theory is that one of the nonmen who bared their neck to the human invasion was instead captured and if chanv is a nonmen body product, it's not from dead nonman but from his blood. They have a nonmen on tap somewhere. Vampiric, eh?

Eating Sranc is just a logistic necessity

It's easy to think that from the safety of a readers POV. I was thinking earlier on why didn't they eat the sranc - I thought maybe sranc are designed to be poisonous to eat, or become poisonous on death.

But remember, a huge theme in the books is cultural taboo. If it is taboo to eat sranc, it's not like they just say "oh, it's logistically necessary, so well skip that taboo". I mean, that's what we do in roleplay sessions sometimes - have our character act like a perfectly logical robot who has no qualms about taking any means necessary (indeed, I often think this was an inspiration for Kellhus, from Scott's D&D days). But as easy as it is to say an imaginary character does it, to actually do the thing - with your own mouth?

However, the effects on the army from eating sranc given they are derived from nonmen, yeah, that's interesting speculation to bring up! I had only thought of forfilling the need to feed, not any sort of effect beyond that. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown