Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Slog of Slogs, Boys! posted 05 June 2011 in The Great Ordeal [supposed]Slog of Slogs, Boys! by Truth Shines, Candidate

Heh, here comes the avalanche...

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Continuing the theme of my original post, I shall further detail some of the things I don't like about this book (again, this is not to say it's all bad, but this is the thread about the bad stuff).

Once again, returning to why I don't like these new people: Sorweel, Mimara, Kelmomas: I've thought about it a little more, and here's perhaps the deeper reason -- they are too passive. In one way or another, they feel strongly that they are tools in the hands of greater things directing them to some goal that is not their own. Sorweel feels he's both a tool of Yatwer and the Anasurimbor family; Mimara fears she's being manipulated by Kellhus, but also with both her on-again-off-again "judging eye" and surprise pregnancy she just doesn't feel in control (she originally had a goal -- to learn sorcery -- but that has been abandoned a long time ago, casting her adrift); Kelmomas is literally being directed by a voice in his head. The only other main character, Esmi, of course is even worse as she spends most of her time guessing why Kellhus has put her in charge. As plot development, there's nothing wrong with them -- if that's how the story goes, so be it; but when put in the place of main characters, I find them very very wanting. As main characters, they are supposed to be the driving force of the story. They are supposed to have agency.

Again, I return to the comparison between them and the two main characters of PON -- Kellhus and Cnauir (Akka is kind of a narrator, straight-man). Both of them are overflowing with this sense of self-direction, agency, and strong motivation. From that comes great energy, action, and emotion. In contrast, these new people (and really Esmetnet and Serwe in PON) are forever in a state of doubt, insecurity, weakness. Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste, but to me that's just not attractive. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown