Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

What philosopher suits you most? posted 19 May 2006 in Philosophy DiscussionWhat philosopher suits you most? by Peter, Auditor

So if anyone wants to recommend a good place to start (I've read Lao Tzu, Nietsche's "Beyond.." and Plato's "Republic")

I have to admit I have neither read Lao Tzu, nor Nietzche directly (read some stuff on him) so I'm not sure what might interest you, but Descartes' Meditations is really excellent. It is philosophically fascinating (and massively important in the history of philosophy), but also elegantly written (like Plato).

Depending on how you want to go after that you could either read more history of philosophy (which does not mean it is irrelevant to contempory philosophy), like Locke's An Essay Concerning Human Understanding and Hume's An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, or you could read about the history of philosophy, such as Russell's A History of Western Philosophy. I would say contempory introductions should be fine, but I think most contempory academic philosophy is quite difficult to get into without some sort of basis.

Machiavelli

I would say, more of a political theorist than a political philosopher (even in his Discourses). view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown