Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The shortest path... posted 30 June 2004 in Author Q & AThe shortest path... by Gable, Candidate

The shortest path indeed! On a whim I check the forum the very next evening and POOF!!!--you've replied already! That's, well, pretty amazing. Anyhow, I'm plugging away at TWP...very impressed by it, as I mentioned. And, oh, you'll be happy to know that JUST as I was wrapping up reading time so I could get a reasonable fraction of sleep...the chapter I finish ends with...well...(trying not to spoil too much) the abduction of a certain primary character, and damned if I didn't just extend reading time a bit longer that night.
As well, I wanted to mention a certain aspect that I love about your books, especially the second one, thus far. It's something that I'm trying to implement in my own work, and it's like this... Your Three Seas, like the ancient Mediterranian region of our world, is a mosiac of literally hundreds of smaller realms and lands and kingdoms and such. And as happened in ancient warfare, certain races and nations excelled at certain types of warfare, and brought certain strengths (as well as weaknesses) to a battle. Your Conriyan Knights, bloodlusting Thunyeri, well-structured Nansur and so on, are wonderfully realized as interestingly distinct nations--just as, back in the day, there would have been the likes of Numidian cavalry, hoplite infantry out of Egypt, skirmishers and slingers from the isles of god-knows-where...do you kind of see what I'm saying? I hope so, since I lost myself somewhere around trying to spell Mediterranian right..which I likely did not. It's a nice touch. Very enthralling to this lover of tactical warfare.
Anyhow. Thanks so much for the reply. Very cool of you. Keep on truckin, and now that I know your listening, I'll write again when I've finished (or if any particular plot developments spur me to claw my own eyes out).

Nicholas view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown