Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Do you believe a God exists? posted 27 April 2006 in Philosophy DiscussionDo you believe a God exists? by talek, Candidate

Insofar as I would use religious categories, I would go for an immanent god of everything, and various lesser gods. Immanent god of everything being identical to everything - the universe. The universe is conscious, analogically at least, insofar as it contains conscious beings. If you are conscious of a potato, then in a sense the universe is conscious of a potato.

Just as neurons make a network in the human brain, the interactions of things, and especially the interactions of people via language, make up the mind of the universe. It is quite different from the human mind, e.g., bigger and more distributed. When we think or discuss, the universe thinks.

In order for the universe to be truly self-conscious, as opposed to being conscious of this or that, in this way, there has to be a sentient being who considers him/herself to be the universe, i.e., a mystic.

The universe grows and understands itself better and better, although this process is by no means straightforward. In a way, the god of everything is in its infancy. Or at least, that's the way it looks from here.

The most important growth, IMHO, is moral growth.

One nice thing about an immanent god is that it doesn't hide itself away. Open your eyes and you will see it. Open your ears and you will hear it.

There are various processes, smaller than the universe as a whole, which can also be said, analogically at least, to have mind; if you don't like the idea of polytheism, you can think of them as angels or djinn rather than gods. Religions and ideologies are entities of this kind. If you call them gods, then you have something like the Hundred Gods in the Kiunnat tradition (althogh the number 100 is arbitrary). view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown