Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Can we really tell history "as it was"? posted 24 April 2006 in Philosophy DiscussionCan we really tell history "as it was"? by Primal, Peralogue

I think we can approach an understanding of the mentality of the past by looking at the mentality of now. The world is not in the same stages of development. Parts of Asia, the Middle East, Africa still have herding, fishing, individual-agriculture that make up the majority of livelihood, not like the mass productions of more tech-advanced civilizations. Also, there are the factors of religion, culture, war, etc, needs, and wants.

It's true that history is fragmented narratives. But it one aspect, it comes together to become a single entity of history. My analogy is: what is a civilization? It is composed of individuals, who in one aspect, have come together to form a single entity. History can be more than one aspect.

Also, history, for me, is a leap of faith. It seems we can never have completely conclusive knowledge, facts, understanding, or evidence. Everything we learn on history are from relics, artifacts, writings, pictures, memories, and other media, all told from countless perspectives. I don't really understanding how and what we choose to believe, but we choose to believe. (goddamn Aldarion; I'll suppose I'll try to formulate around the "I don't know"). What we choose to believe can be a synthesis of different things--the need to rationalize, the need to make conformity and sensibility for psychological purposes, coherency, etc. What we choose to believe can also be based on randomness, irrationality, whim. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown