Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Kellhus, his divinity, and his "good guy" status. posted 13 April 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtKellhus, his divinity, and his "good guy" status. by Primal, Peralogue

When it comes to the uncertainties of Kellhus, I can't really determine whether he is a good or bad guy. Both good guys and bad guys will cause "collateral" strife to achieve their end results, whatever that may be. The Erratics' intention is to kill, torture, degrade, cause as much suffering as possible so they may remember it. To most people, that is an evil intention, regardless of the Erratics' madness. Kellhus, right now, seems not to understand his intention (correct me if I am wrong). He was Dunyain, whose supreme goal was to dominate. If he has become something more...what does he want now? And wanting to have mastery over others...is that good or bad? That was Kellhus's intention.

Regardless whether Kellhus is good or bad, he is still the protagonist. I still find him a fascinating character, like I do the crow Inchoroi, Mekeritrig, Achamian, Conphas, the Emperor, Cnaiur... But, Kellhus is the most fascinating for me. You really got an essence for his Dunyaina in the first book. In the battle with the Nonmen, ..."he moved into the space that was before"; when the sorcerer (Mekeritrig or whoever, how do you know it was Mekeritrig anyway?) started casting a spell and Kellhus saw the distortion in his mouth. Those descriptions, and the descriptions of the "neuropunctures", a chamber of "defects" with stimulodes attached to the brain; the Logos meditation. Oh yeah, I have to throw this in here too: the scene with Cnaiur hiding among the corpses while he listens in on Conphas--"he did not merely remember...he relived..." The writings were masterful. They conveyed sentiments and scenes perfectly. And I believe the effort gone into making Kellhus was most present here in the first book. There was something special about The Darkness that Comes Before view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown