Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The Amoral Khellus posted 06 April 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe Amoral Khellus by Primal, Peralogue

Hey all, what's up? I just found this site, and read some interesting disccusions.

Anyway, I wanted to discuss, in particular, a series of events through the three books concerning a subtle and gradual change in Khellus, a growing in his moral "vestigial" nature.

First, however, I'd like to make a comment about the Dunyain.
We all know Khellus was Dunyain, a group of people who believe that the world is orderly and holds no mysteries, and that everything happens according to the dictates of logic. This is what Khellus means by the "axiomatic" thought of the Dunyain--that everything has its place, that all events and actions transpire through sanity and understanding. This is why when faced with the unknown, Khellus says Moenghus will desire to seal off the world ("kill everyone"), because it goes against what the Dunyain is. We have different perspectives about what happened in that meeting between the two (Cu Roi's explanation is very compelling; you can find it here

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.three-seas.com/viewtopic.php?t=973">http://forum.three-seas.com/viewtopic.php?t=973</a><!-- m --> )

Back to what I wanted to discuss: I think that as Khellus is exposed to more and more experiences of the dynamicity of the world, he is slowly developing into a more moral person. He came from the Dunyain, who apply no concept of right or wrong in their reasoning intellect. Most of Khellus's decisions have been based on pure reasoning. But, Khellus is not as unmoving or unaffected as he appears.

In the first book, when Cnaiur first came upon Serwe and took her captive and raped her, Khellus watched (and I don't remember the exact quotes; I gave the first two books of the prince of nothing away) and it seemed to him ...everything seemed to fade out to blackness as &quot;the stars and the sky stood still while the ground beneath swirled in a circular motion&quot;. Of course, Khellus, being new to emotions, didn't realize he was witnessing a &quot;wrongness&quot; though he somewhat responded to it in that manner. He wondered about this &quot;vision&quot;

In the second book, Khellus, upon returning from a battle, goes to kill Cnaiur. This is when he realizes he can't read or predict Cnaiur's behavior who is raving mad. As he holds Cnaiur by the neck, and studies Cnaiur, something overcomes him, and he decides to stay his hand. Again, he wonders to himself &quot;what is this? Pity?&quot;

In the third book, more relevant to emotional development than moral development, Khellus is confronted by an Inchoroi in Esmenet form. They talk about the difference between love and worship. As Khellus explains the truth that Esmenet &quot;worships&quot; him and actually &quot;loves&quot; Acchamian Drusas, he feels something in his heart. He asks himself, &quot;what is this? Pain?&quot; He doesn't realize yet that he is susceptible to human sentiment, and in this case it's that the love of a woman doesn't really belong to him; he is excluded from it, and hence the pain.

What do you all think? Is this what's happening? Any developments you see happening that no one has pointed out yet?

[/url] view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown