Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Do you believe a God exists? posted 21 March 2006 in Philosophy DiscussionDo you believe a God exists? by Zarathinius, Auditor

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get over the "Christians are hypocrites" attitude, since the mere word "Christian" has become so overarching and interpreted in so many ways that blaming Christians for anything is a great way of insulting somebody you don't intend to insult. The actual hypocrites and Fundamentalists often claim a monopoly on Christianity, which is the source of most animosity towards Christians as a whole.

But anyway, to get back on track with the topic, I must say that I do not believe in a personified, intelligent, or unified divine being, which I suppose is a liberal interpretation of Deism. I personally do not feel despair or hopelessness when confronted with the idea that our existence has no purpose or meaning. After all, who is to say what it means to have purpose or meaning? Life is life, and anything beyond can only be speculated upon in a psuedoscientific manner, since it is beyond our physical senses. The metaphysics of faith are dangerously open to human error and logical fallacy, which is where the problems arise. Metaphysics can be defined as truths that can be realized by thinking about them, so how can we know one person's metaphysical realization is "more true" than another's? In my humble opinion, I would rather accept my ignorance than create my own perception of reality.

I realize what I say may offend, baffle, or irk some people, but I ask that you not hold it against me if this is the case. (i.e. I didn't try to hurt anybody's feelings.) view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown