Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Can we really tell history "as it was"? posted 20 March 2006 in Philosophy DiscussionCan we really tell history "as it was"? by Sokar, Auditor

My father once told my mother: "We do not write history, we undergo it!" (long story to why he said this) By accepting this, the perception of man in and of history is irrelevant, and so is the relation of truth in history. Morality, or mentality as you call it, has little to do with time, they do not evolve, in the sense as becoming higher of value, they merely change in an insignificant manner into either direction.
From this, I would say that history is nothing more than life itself. Through looking into history, one persumes so much has been done and said, that his being is incompareble. Yet, one forgets that all things in history are not written by those actors, merely interpereted by the historian as a groundbreaking action.

To make it simpler, here is Nietzsche: "There are no facts, only interpretations!"

Aldorian -> Could you maybe elaborate on your "theory" of how history should be? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown