Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Why are Kellhus and Moenghus of the Few? posted 18 March 2006 in Author Q & AWhy are Kellhus and Moenghus of the Few? by stormchaser, Candidate

There is the possiblity that the Dunyain know extactly what they are doing, and only tell their members that there is no sorcery to keep them from becoming too powerful...

An intriguing possibility, H. I tend to doubt the Pragmas would tell falsehoods to their charges on a regular basis, but who knows? Well OK, Scott probably does, but I suspect he ain't telling.

It does bring up a rather interesting question, though. Can a Dunyain tell another Dunyain an outright lie without being detected? I don't recall this as being something directly addressed in the book. I remember that Kellhus has to go to great lengths to keep his true thoughts and intentions hidden from his father when they finally meet face to face. I suspect flat-out lying is extremely difficult, maybe even impossible between Dunyain of Kellhus and Moenghus' stature. In their case deceit is probably best accomplished through subtler means: misdirection, sins of omission, any tactic that doesn't quite rise to the level of lying but is capable of producing the same result. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown