Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Do you believe a God exists? posted 17 March 2006 in Philosophy DiscussionDo you believe a God exists? by Randal, Auditor

EoC: I suppose that answers my question... sort of.

I'll agree that having faith in something won't hurt. (unless it's used to justify crimes/hate/discrimination/whatever) Not sure it's a positive trait either, though that's neither here nor there.

But I couldn't for the life of me understand it. Sure, have faith in something. But how the hell would one do that? If you offered me a billion euros if I'd just believe in god, or Zeus, or psychic powers, or anything... I couldn't. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It boggles my mind, really, this concept of faith. Intellectually accepting the possibility of some "prime mover" godlike being is one thing, but I can't actually believe anything supernatural exists unless someone shows me at least some half-decent evidence.

I seem to recall some research that indicated that religiosity is (at least in part) a hereditary trait. If that's so, I ended up without any of it. Can't say that I mind, though the concept of religion does intrigue me to no end just because it's so unfathomable to me. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown