Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Why are Kellhus and Moenghus of the Few? posted 17 March 2006 in Author Q & AWhy are Kellhus and Moenghus of the Few? by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Quote: "Entropic_existence":6ogq8e55
Quote: "stormchaser":6ogq8e55

Maybe, and certainly Scott has the last word. It's just that so much of what we're shown of the Dunyain and their techniques involves ways of understanding and mastering the natural world exactly as it is, as opposed to sorcery which involves remaking reality in ways that completely transcend natural law. I don't see a whole lot of correspondence between the two disciplines. The idea that the Dunyain have been breeding for sorcery without even knowing it seems just a tad too pat, given the complete worldliness and absolute practicality of the Dunyain world view.
[/quote:6ogq8e55]

The Dunyain believe that Sorcery is merely superstition, and do not believe in it being real until they are confronted with it. (As happened to Moenghus and Kelhus after leaving Ishual) But as Scott said the ability to work Sorcery is inherently based on certain cognitive and intellectual abilities and predispositions, making the two tied together. The Dunyain do not practice Sorcery obviously, but from what little we've been shown I think that a rather large portion of them are of the Few, and would have the ability to work Sorcery should they chose to learn.

Whether they reject it or not is another matter entirely. Certainly Kelhus came to the conclusion that the Dunyain, should they learn the truth as he sees it, would ultimately side with the Consult because in order to achieve their mission the influence of the Outside would need to be removed.[/quote:6ogq8e55]

I agree completely. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown