Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Kellhus, his divinity, and his "good guy" status. posted 01 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtKellhus, his divinity, and his "good guy" status. by superkeer, Candidate

This is something I've been debating with myself for a few days now that I've finished the trilogy.

I don't like Kellhus at all. I found myself rooting against him at the end. I really wanted him to receive, what I feel, is coming to him.

There was an important step he missed in going from sociopathic manipulator to (possibly) delusional demi-god, and that step was "humanity." I don't understand his motivation anymore; now that he's faced his father and completed his "mission," he can only continue to be driven by his own personal motives... and the only motivation to continue his charade is that he has either A) gone off the deep end, B) actually discovered a way to achieve divine status and then as a result C) has become obsessed with the knowledge that he continues to unlock.

But along the way, he's cut a swath through the entire world. His personal mission, which he kept from everyone save Cnaiur, has resulted in the deaths of thousands, the displacement of hundreds of thousands, and the complete, 90-degree shift of countless nations, cultures, and histories in the civilized world. And now he's content to continue on, seemingly without regard for anyone other than himself.

I suppose he envisions himself in the scheme of the Apocalypse, perhaps he wants to be humanity's savior, but I don't believe its for any selfless reason. He just wants to make everyone love him, but nothing the world could do would make him love it.

I see him struggling to dominate the Dunyain next, then he may undertake a mission to dominate the Consult, which may prove to be his undoing. If he ends up becoming Mog-Pharau reborn, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown